Teen Driving Log Frequently Asked Questions
The Teen Driving Log Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) page provides answers and solutions for commonly asked questions and issues related to the Teen Driving Log iPhone app.
I just got a new phone. Can I transfer the data?
Your data file should be transferred when you restore your new phone from a backup of your old device. Also see next question (how to transfer data).
How do I transfer data from one device to another device?
The way to share the data would to be to use iTunes sharing. You would copy the data file to your computer and then back to the other device. You then have to keep track of which device has the most recent copy of the data. Here is Apple’s link on how to use iTunes Sharing.
Can I track the number of miles driven?
The app does not currently support mileage tracking; however, there is a roundabout way to keep track of the number of miles driven during a single session. The effort requires entering mileage data in the notes section. By entering the number of miles traveled in the notes section, you can export the driving log data to a .csv file and utilize the functionality of worksheet software (Excel, Numbers, Google Sheets, etc.) to calculate the number or miles driven.
Does the app support multiple users?
The app is designed to for a single user; however, there is a workaround that makes it possible to use the app with multiple users. The notes section can be utilized to track multiple drivers. In doing so, you will need to export the data using the backup feature and sort the resulting .csv file by the notes column. The functionality of the worksheet program (Microsoft Excel, Google Sheets, Numbers, etc.) will allow users to total the time and track the skills.
For a step-by-step tutorial on how to utilize this feature, Select the multi-user tutorial button. Multi-user Tutorial
I can’t export my data (email does not work)
If you can’t send the email, or you get a pop-up alert saying no email is selected, it most likely means one of two things:
- The email address was typed in incorrectly. If so, enter the correct email address and try sending it again.
- The device you are using (iPhone, iPad, etc.) does not have an email account established to send the email from. To set up an email account on your device: Follow the directions provided by Apple at this web location https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201320 Note that the account serves as your default sending account. Once this step has been addressed, you will be able to set an address (Teen Driving Log App, Settings, Backup, tap to set email address, <enter the email address you want to send your backup to>). Note that the sending account can be the same as the receiving account.
There is another option if the above processes do not work. You can download the log through iTunes on your desktop computer. Here are the instructions on how to do that:
Once you connect your phone to your computer and start up iTunes:
- Click on the phone icon to view the phone settings.
- Select the File Sharing option.
- Select the Teen Driving Log app under the Apps heading.
- Select the drivinglog.csv file.
- Click Save and save to your preferred location.
If these steps do not work for you, please contact our support team for further assistance.
How do I print my driving log?
To print your driving log, follow the process below:
- Select the Settings option found in the bottom menu bar
- Select Backup
- Enter the email address where you want to send the file
- Click the Backup Now Button
- Select Send
- Open the email and select the file .csv file and print. If you don’t have Excel or similar program on your computer, we recommend using Google Sheets, a free worksheet reader found at: https://www.google.com/sheets/about
What do I do if I see a bunch of # signs in the Start Date and End Date fields when I open the .csv file?
For most spreadsheet readers, such as Excel and Google Sheets, you will need to make the column bigger.
To make the column bigger:
- Select the columns you want to make wider
- Click the right boundary of one of the columns you selected
- Double Click – If that doesn’t work, select the right boundary and hold down your left mouse button and drag your mouse to the right.